An association for alumni and supporters of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Contact Information
Friends of The Daily Texan, Inc.
#806
1401 Lavaca St
Austin, TX 78701

[email protected]

Former Texan staffer Stockwell wins top UT alumni award

By Peggy Fikac
Austin Bureau
San Antonio Express-News

Four University of Texas alumni, including Managing Editor Jamie Stockwell of the San Antonio Express-News, have been named recipients of the 2015 Outstanding Young Texas Ex Award.

The award recognizes distinguished alumni who are 40 or younger and have shown “a continuing interest in the University of Texas and the Texas Exes.”

Stockwell, a native of Edinburg and a 1999 graduate of UT, began her career at the Daily Texan campus newspaper. She worked for eight years at the Washington Post, where she was part of the team that covered the 2001 attack on the Pentagon and was a lead reporter on the “Beltway sniper” case in 2002.

Stockwell, 38, has been an editor at the Express-News since 2007.

“Growing up, there was always only one university I wanted to attend, and that was the acclaimed UT. Its journalism program has a stellar reputation and a long list of distinguished graduates,” she said, noting that the Daily Texan and the program have continued to evolve, adapt and innovate during the past decade

“I’ve always been a very proud UT grad and am honored and humbled by this recognition and thrilled to be a part of this tradition,” Stockwell said.

Also announced were Jake Silverstein, editor-in-chief of the New York Times Magazine and formerly editor-in-chief of Texas Monthly; Kedra Ishop, an associate vice provost for enrollment management at the University of Michigan; and Muhammad Mustafa Hussain, an associate professor of electrical engineering at King Abdulla University of Science and Technology in Saudi Arabia.