An association for alumni and supporters of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Contact Information
Friends of The Daily Texan, Inc.
#806
1401 Lavaca St
Austin, TX 78701

[email protected]

Three editors named to lead The Daily Texan in year ahead

Three senior editors have been named to lead The Daily Texan, student newspaper at the University of Texas at Austin, in the coming year.

They are:

Editor-in-Chief : Megan Tran

Megan Tran is The Daily Texan editor-in-Chief for the next year.

Megan first began at the Texan as an opinion columnist during her freshman year and became an opinion associate editor during Summer 2021.

During this time, she wrote columns and contributed to editorials on a variety of issues and advocated for on-campus changes to better support students from marginalized communities.

This past spring, she served as Assistant Director of Diversity and Inclusion and helped move the paper towards more respectful and diverse coverage. As editor-in-chief, Megan plans to push for greater sexual misconduct reform as well as changes that are intersectional and representative of the diverse student body on UT’s campus.

Upon graduation, Megan hopes to attend law school and continue her passion for advocacy in the legal field.

Managing Editor / Summer: Anna Canizales

Anna Canizales is The Daily Texan Managing Editor for Summer 2022. She is a government major minoring in journalism and has worked at The Daily Texan since Spring 2019. She has worked as a newsletter writer, general news reporter, breaking news reporter, news desk editor, associate news editor, and news editor for the Texan, and worked as a reporting fellow and copy editor at The Texas Tribune in 2021 and 2022. She has always been very passionate about writing and storytelling and is extremely grateful for the opportunity to practice those skills at such a great news organization.

During her time as news editor, Anna helped facilitate a collaboration between the Texan and the Austin American-Statesman to republish articles from Texan reporters. As managing editor, she hopes to continue to improve upon the program and potentially work towards creating similar programs with other local news organizations. She also hopes to provide support for the newsroom as it begins to transition back out of the pandemic phase and focus on mentoring and teaching new members.

Anna is planning to study abroad in Madrid, Spain in the fall and will graduate from UT in May 2023.

Fall Managing Editor: Fiza Kuzhiyil

Fiza Kuzhiyil is The Daily Texan Managing Editor for Fall 2022.

Fiza  is a rising junior at the University of Texas at Austin studying journalism, government and Asian American Studies. She got her start at the Daily Texan in fall 2020 as a general news reporter. Since then, she’s worked as a Life & Arts Senior Reporter, Associate Life & Arts Editor, Life & Arts Editor, D&I contributor and Associate Managing Editor.

Fiza has always loved telling human-centric stories. During her time as a reporter, she covered breaking news like the 2020 election and Winter Storm 2021 from community members’ perspectives. As an editor, she continued to push the bounds of Life & Arts to cover more feature stories and student life.

As Managing Editor, Fiza aims to enrich the basement culture to create a social and collaborative environment that fosters friendship and growth. She also hopes to increase the scope of our digital content to help the Texan stay up to date with the ever-changing media landscape. Upon graduation, she hopes to report on previously underrepresented communities to fill gaps in coverage and tell the important human interest stories we’ve been missing.