An association for alumni and supporters of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Contact Information
Friends of The Daily Texan, Inc.
#806
1401 Lavaca St
Austin, TX 78701

[email protected]

Friends of The Daily Texan create Griff Singer Scholarship for Texan staffer

S. Griffin Singer, respected Texas journalist and beloved former UT journalism professor, has been honored with an annual scholarship to be awarded in his name to a staff member of The Daily Texan.

The $2,000 annual grant will come from Friends of The Daily Texan, Inc., a non-profit established in 2013 to provide support for The Daily Texan and its staff.

The addition of this scholarship brings the total awarded to 11 Texan staffers to $15,000 from the Friends group and its partner donors. The grant program has grown from 1 recipient in 2018 to 11 in 2022.

“The naming of a scholarship in Griff’s name was overdue, and we are glad to make it a reality,” the Friends board said in statement. “He signifies the best of the UT journalism school and has positively impacted thousands of students through the decades. His professional career is outstanding and an indicator of his knowledge and work in metro and community markets. He continues giving back daily to the profession he loves.”

The first Singer scholarship grant will be awarded in fall of this year.

Griff advising Texan staffers, including Karen Elliott House, right, and Bob Inderman and Annette Benning.

The winner – and the other award recipients – will appear in person at the Friends annual dinner in spring of 2023.

In thanking the Friends board for the honor, Griff wrote:

“I owe so much to The Texan from my days as an undergraduate. I had the opportunity to work on The Texan during the day as a reporter and later a day editor (or city editor). And then, as many of you know, The Texan provided me a way to pay for my college education, working five nights a week as an apprentice printer in the TSP composing room in the hot metal days.

“When I returned to teach in the J school in the late 1960s, I soon found myself being appointed to the then TSP board, The relationship, and my appreciation for what it means to young journalists, resumed.

“Thank you so much for this honor. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of The Friends of The Daily Texan and its goals of a continued vital student journalist voice.”

The grant will be funded via donations to the Friends group.

You may donate here:

Make a Donation