An association for alumni and supporters of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Contact Information
Friends of The Daily Texan, Inc.
#806
1401 Lavaca St
Austin, TX 78701

[email protected]

3 new senior editors to lead The Daily Texan in coming year

Three Daily Texan staffers have been selected to management positions to lead The Daily Texan during the coming year.

The new editor-in-chief will be Lucero Ponce, the Summer Managing Editor will be Kamryn Brownlee and the Fall Managing Editor will be Morgan Severson.

Lucero Ponce

Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Texan for the 2023-2024 school year

Lucero Ponce is a rising junior studying journalism and Mexican American & Latino studies.

Lucero has spent most of her time at The Daily Texan’s opinion department since her freshman year.

She’s worked as a senior columnist and associate editor. Lucero primarily wrote columns advocating for underrepresented communities.
During Spring 2023, Lucero was the first Texan en Español director, where she led a translation team that made breaking news more accessible to the Spanish-speaking community, which reached the goal of producing 100 translations.
Outside of The Daily Texan, Lucero worked as a reporting fellow for Community Impact during Spring 2023, where she wrote about nonprofits.
As Editor-in-Chief, her vision for the Texan is to make it more accessible to underrepresented communities. She hopes to diversify opinion content to better represent the student body.
Upon graduation, Lucero hopes to pursue a career in investigative or community journalism.

Kamryn Brownlee

Summer Daily Texan Managing Editor

Kamryn Brownlee is a senior at the University of Texas at Austin majoring in journalism and minoring in architectural history.

Kamryn will serve as The Daily Texan’s summer 2023 managing editor.

She started at the Texan in August 2020 and has served as associate managing editor and copy desk chief.

This summer, Kamryn will also be a marketing communications intern at HKS, an international architecture firm headquartered in Dallas.

Upon her December 2023 graduation, Kamryn hopes to pursue a career in architectural journalism and communications.

Morgan Severson

Fall Daily Texan Managing Editor

Morgan Severson is a rising senior journalism major and member of the Moody Honors Program.

She started at The Daily Texan in fall 2021 as an Issue Designer and since then she’s held the positions of General Reporter, City and Politics Senior Reporter, News Desk Editor, General Photographer, and Associate Managing Editor.

This summer, she’s working as News Editor. Starting in the fall, Morgan will serve as President of UT’s chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists for the 23-24 school year.

During her time as a senior reporter, Morgan found her passion for journalism’s role as the watchdog in our democracy.

She enjoys writing stories that examine the actions of those in power and how they impact the lives of everyday people. She’s reported on the unionization of a local Starbucks, the impacts of the overturn of Roe v. Wade for college students and stories of hair-related discrimination from Black UT students.

As Managing Editor, she hopes to foster an environment of collaboration and to encourage staff members to produce high-quality, original journalism. One of her main goals is to increase collaboration between writing and multimedia departments.

For the past two semesters, Morgan has worked as a freelance reporter for The Austin American-Statesman. This past spring, she held an internship at KUT and next spring she’ll intern at the Houston Chronicle’s Austin Bureau.

When she graduates, Morgan wants to be a political journalist.