An association for alumni and supporters of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Friends of The Daily Texan

Contact Information
Friends of The Daily Texan, Inc.
#806
1401 Lavaca St
Austin, TX 78701

[email protected]

Honoring current and former Texan staffers: Celebrate (and Please Donate)

With COVID-19 forced cancellation of Friends of The Daily Texan Hall of Fame dinner and fund-raiser last fall, the Friends group has created a “virtual” celebration to honor those who would normally be recognized in person.

Ten Daily Texan Hall of Fame honorees are being honored and 7 Texan staffers have received scholarship awards.

All are recognized in a series of videos on the Friends of The Daily Texan YouTube  channel. A total of 15 Texan reporters and videographers, hired by the Friends group, did the interviews and video work. The videos are short and concise – 5 minutes or so – and well worth the time.

“Please take a few minutes to look at the videos; they are enlightening and show the importance of the scholarships to the students, and the value of the awards to Hall of Fame honorees,” said Friends president John Reetz.

Also, please remember the cancelled dinner was to be the Friends main-fund-raising effort this past year to support the scholarships and Hall of Fame awards, and other Texan needs funded by donations to the Friends group.

“The Friends board voted to continue the scholarships and awards but ask those who can assist to donate to keep the scholarships, special projects and equipment for The Texan and Hall of Fame awards funded, strong and continuing,” Reetz said.

Please ask yourself:

• Would you have attended the dinner?
  • Have you donated to the Friends group, for The Texan, recently?
  • Will you help support the continued growth of the scholarship fund to continue cash awards for Daily Texan student journalists?

How you can help:

If you support the mission of the Texan and its continuation for generations to come, please consider making a donation today to fund scholarship and cash awards. If you had planned to attend the annual dinner,  please consider donating the funds you would have used to attend. You can donate here: https://www.friendsofthedailytexan.org/donations/ or mail a check to:

Friends of The Daily Texan

P.O. Box 8383

Austin, Texas 78713

How your donations are put to use:

Friends of The Daily Texan Virtual Gathering

Link to YouTube channel with interviews of honorees and student scholarship winners:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmxFCsZEuQziqqxvU1nzHbw

Link to Hall of Fame honorees:

https://www.friendsofthedailytexan.org/texan-hall-of-fame/ten-top-daily-texan-graduates-named-to-student-papers-hall-of-fame/

Link to Texan staff grant recipients:

https://www.friendsofthedailytexan.org/events/seven-daily-texan-staffers-receive-scholarship-grants-from-donors-friends-group/

Daily Texan Hall of Fame Honorees:

Laura Beil

Richard Cole

David DeVoss

Renae Merle

Bill Little

John McConnico

Jean-Marc Bouju

Griff Singer Award:

Art Rinn

Dolores Moore Rinn

Rising Star Award:

Abby Johnston

Daily Texan Staff Scholarship Winners

Ariana Arredondo – Becky and Jerry Conn Award

Harper Carlton – McConnico-Bouju Multi-Media Award

Myah Taylor – McConnico-Bouju Print Award

Trinady Joslin – Middy Randerson Award

Areeba Ameer – Friends of The Daily Texan

Phoebe Hayes – Friends of The Daily Texan finalist

Hannah Ortega – Friends of The Daily Texan finalist

About The Friends of  The Daily Texan, Inc.:

The Friends group is a non-profit organization, with funds coming from membership fees and donations, but the main source of funds for Texan scholarships and projects is the annual dinner. 

The Friends provides four annual scholarships to Texan staffers. An additional grant is funded by Jerry and Becky Conn, and two additional grants are provided by John McConnico and Jean-Marc Bouju.

Other Friends group support includes editorial and special project needs, purchase of photo and video equipment, assistance in bringing the Texan archives online, donations to Horn Raiser and other funds supporting The Texan and other items as they arise.